Wednesday, October 27, 2004

A Great Day for Freedom

Just wanted to write a celebratory post in honor of PM Sharon's victory last night in the Knesset. This doesn't put an end to the controversy over disengagement, by any means, but its an encouraging sign that the popular front I was hoping for may be taking shape and the Israeli majority may get its say after all. Its also a tribute to the character of the Prime Minister and his courage in facing not only this difficult issue, but his own political past for the sake of Israel's future. I think Israel may finally have found its DeGaulle. More than anything else, though, this is a great day for Israeli democracy, especially if one keeps in mind that such an event could occur only in one country in the entire Middle East. I don't want to sound maudlin, but I am (cautiously) much more optimistic than I've been in a long time.